Sunday, November 21, 2010

After the Day in Ferrara

We are now drying out in the car as we get ready to head back.  We are wet from head to shoe (at least our feet aren't wet) and we are drying off in the car as we get this blog in.  We had a fun lunch at a "typical ristorante" where we had some curry pumpkin with almonds starter and a main course.  It was a nice cozy place and kept us warm for an hour.  We walked the street in the old part of town and enjoyed the brick and cobblestone streets.  Only if the sun was shining.  We went in the Castle of Ferrara which you saw a picture of earlier and spent some time in the Cathedral.  It is sad to see all the altars to the different saints and people spending time at each station to burn a candle.  It is good to know that grace is sufficient and there is no need for these actions.  We are off to the roads again with Jan as navigator.  She has done such a great job seeing as we know no Italian.

jan here-  the navigating is killing me....almost ...if the traffic doesn't first.  I have been in many countries where we don't know the language but not many where hardly any one speaks even a little english and all the signs are in Italian.  We guess at what they are saying and hope we are close .  We have had a great day  even with the rain.  The cathedral brought back the same thoughts and memories of catholic churches I visited as a young girl.  I remember being saddened by the fact that people were praying to the idols and alters and the picture of Jesus still on a cross always saddens me.  I am so thankful my Saviour is not on the tree but overcame death and is risen.  It was fascinating to hear that the cathedral was built in the 11 hundreds.   Quite a bit of history there.
I am so enjoying the gelato here.  They have the best dark chocolate ever.  Yummy...my goal..have some every day.   :)
So as Roger said we are heading back to our "home" and now its in the dark...an hr drive approximately, assuming we don't get to turned around somewhere.  Talk again soon...

6 comments:

  1. so glad you are there and safe and no lost luggage! GELATO, yes, indeed. We tried to have it everyday when we were there too!! It is a must!! :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pictures! I'm having lots of fun just reading about it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan and I are looking at your pictures wishing we were there. Hope you continue to have safe travels and a wonderful time with each other and the folks you come in contact with. Can't wait to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your pictures.. feels like we are there with you ! (I wish) Gelato everyday? I think thats a very good goal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spy a hat and mittens!!! Jan! I feel so truly honored to have made a piece (or 3) that are a part of your scrupulously-packed luggage! Love you guys - can't wait to read more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just loving your pictures and blog!

    ReplyDelete