Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Shopping, Touring, Cooking and Working


A cute couple at the Umbrella Factory
We want to step back at the beginning of this blog and remind people of the cardies.  Jan mentioned videoing them singing prior to us leaving George.  If you would like to see a portion of one of these songs, click on this link ( Cardie Video Special for You )
On Tues Roger and I had a treat!  We were able to rent a van and driver for the day to go to some tourist places that Roger had not been able to visit when he came to Chiang Mai the first time.  
Celadon Pottery
We were gone from 9:15 till 2:30 and it only costs us 200 Baht!  That is about $7 !!  We were taken to this area where there are a lot of different “factories” so they are all easy access.  We stopped first at the world’s largest jewelry store…Most of it was way beyond our budget tho it seemed every piece I wanted to actually look at was the most expensive in that display area.  There were a lot of different precious gems made into all sorts of settings…many so gaudy I wonder who in earth would wear them…but I guess someone does or they would not be making them.  We were also given a tour of the “factory” where they showed how the stones are cut and settings made …and the jewelry polished etc.  When we were done looking it was nice to go outside and hop in the van and off we went to another spot.  Next we went to the Celadon Pottery place.  I have gone there every time I have been there and if you ever were to come in my home you might notice my Celadon mugs or little bowls with elephants on the sides or my vases (my favorite)…it is a fun place to look and to shop but the problem this time is our luggage space is so limited…but I still could not resist…I confess I got 2 small vases (total…10$) that Roger assured me we could somehow fit in…ahhh…good thing I am limited on weight and space.   
Fountain and Pond at Lunch
By the time we left there it was lunch time so the driver (Mr. Tee) took us to a Thai food restaurant.  It had a buffet and so we were able to try all sorts of food we had not had…and had no idea what they were….but most of it we enjoyed.  The restaurant was a large spread out and open area with a pond in the middle and waterfall at one end.  It made for a relaxing meal in spite of 3 buses full of people coming while we were there….I told you it was a tourist area:)
Umbrella Factory
We went across the street after that to the umbrella factory which was interesting…and then on to another place that had crafts from the Hill tribes…and then we puttered out and asked Mr. T to bring us home.  It’s nice to know we can get a ride places tho when the Keefer's are busy and/or we just want to head out alone.
Jan at cooking class
Today (wed) I got to finally do a Thai cooking class.  I have been to Thailand 2 other times and we always say we are going to do it but never get around to it…due to life getting in the way J  But this time Rhoda put it on the schedule right away.  I told her I was willing to go alone if she was to busy...which she was (she had a vet apt. for the cats and meeting with another lady today).  Roger was going into the school for the day (maybe he should write about that) and so I went to the class with a lady named Liz who has been working in Pakistan for 30 yrs and is resting here for a few weeks before heading back to Scotland to retire.  
Jan's favorite dish
We were picked up by a nice van and taken to the “cooking school” which was someone’s house made into a nice place to learn Thai cooking.  They were very organized and our teacher spoke English quite well.  We were able to choose 3 dishes from a menu and also a type of curry paste that we would make as well as the curry dish.   So a total of 5 things.  It started at 9 and ended at 2.  We started by going out back to the herb garden and learned an enormous amount of things about herbs.  
Herbs growing in banana tree
I wish I had recorded it all….very interesting stuff…one of the coolest things was this lady had started to plant herbs in the stalk of banana trees.  She cut a slit and put a bit of soil and seed in it and the seeds sprouted and so she had all sorts of things growing out of the stalks that are mostly water.  So if you have a banana tree in your yard….go for it J   Then we took a walk about 4 blocks away to an open market where she showed us about different rice and noodles and I was glad to find out that rice noodles that are used in pad Thai are made from mungo beans…not a starch!   Yeah! 
Curry, and Cashew Chicken Jan made
Then we came back to the house and started in.    We started off with a snack that was a beetroot leaf that we filled with a few goodies…pc of lime, ginger, hot pepper (opt), ground nuts, toasted coconut and topped with a sweet maple flavored sauce and then we wrapped the leaf around it and ate it all…absolutely delicious!!!  A burst of several different flavors and so good.  I tried one with half a hot pepper in it and man was it hot…I ate a spoon of the syrup to calm my burning mouth!  But it was delicious even with the heat…
Then we got on to the things we chose to make.  I made Pad Thai, spring rolls, cashew chicken and curry.  It was such a good time but I was exhausted at the end. It has been awhile since I had to focus and pay attention to something for such a long stretch…pathetic…I know…
And so I end another day here…kind of sad as each day ends knowing the time will fly by way to quickly…
Well…here’s Roger…
Orchid in Keefer's yard
Today I started the day with chapel at the Grace as it is spiritual emphasis week.  The speaker was very good and I learned we should be more like Rhino’s (blind beyond 30 feet, going at 30 mph) than Eagles (waiting to see His plan in total) in our perspective while looking for His will.  More detail would best be shared verbally.  Time was than spent in the industrial arts class as the teacher would like me to share some experience as an Engineer and we were working on a good time to do that.  It’s been a long time since I did Engineering.  Time was spent with the PE and maintenance departments in their devotional time where I share my testimony and some time was spent looking at a few of the issues they share and how to best approach them with a spiritual perspective.  It was good to listen to them and see how they look the Lord to be their joy.  After lunch I went with David Woods to review a couple of projects he is looking at and he gave me some drawings to review and develop the general structural arrangement.  Too bad I don’t have some of my engineering books but assistance can still be provided.  This will be reviewed over the next couple of days.
Emily, Hannah and Ben Club House
Emily, Hannah and Ben have their little club house in the backyard and they spend time playing there on weekends.  These special places were always special to children and were too me growing up. I also remember Lucas, Ben and Eileen enjoying such places that could be considered their own at times when it was pure play.  What different memories these visits bring.



No comments:

Post a Comment