Thursday, February 17, 2011

Random acts of Funness

Well, the chores are about done and it has been truly enjoyable.  At everyones house there are those little jobs and projects you would like to do but have not had the time to do.  That is true in Thailand also and it has felt good to help with those tasks.  They are as minor as installing an exterior light on the wall that had worked loose, making a cupboard in the laundry room, replacing the cover on the garbage area, providing constructability studies and designs for some projects at Grace and tightening up some molding in the house.  It is truly something I enjoy especially when I get free Coke.  It also gives the gals time to talk while Steve is at school and often at nap time.  
My helper Ben - some times


Most of Tuesday was spent on these projects while Jan hung out with Rhoda.  I must mention I did have a little helper, Ben.  I have always enjoyed finding some way to include kids in projects like this.  Yes, there are safety issues but it does force you to slow down, consider each project and make sure their role is of the nature where the risk in virtually nothing (can't say nothing with a 2 year old).  For example, I was sawing MDF ... Ben stayed away then because of the noise ... but when he came back he enjoyed the slipperiness of the MDF dust on the terrazzo floor.  No way of predicting when he would end up on his rear end.  He also enjoyed taking small pieces to the garbage, helping me slide the board for the next marking, sweeping up the dust and other things he could do and I often redo.  What fun!  Challenges your thinking buds but as Jan would tell you I need someone to take me to that level of maturity at times.  

Hannah and Katalina
Emily with cats


Tuesday afternoon everyone decided to go down to the neighborhood pool for a swim.  There is a beautiful pool in the neighborhood that you pay a minimal amount to swim in and there is a restaurant right there should you want anything to eat or drink.  It is about 3 blocks away so it also gives an opportunity for a good walk.  The water was cold when you first get in but once you are in it feels great and especially after a day in the 90's.  
Working on Cupboard


Wednesday we put the cupboard in place first thing in the morning.  Not a piece of art but definitely functional and provides for a lot more work area in the laundry room.  After that was complete, Rhoda took us to another Celadon pottery factory which has a different variety of items.  They have the cutest nativity scenes and it was hard to walk away and say no.  Jan has one from a previous trip but they have a set with the Joseph, Mary, the shepherds and wisemen dress as Thai.  After much pondering and going back and forth, we left empty handed.  Jan and I really wanted ... not necessarily needed  to get a setting of Celadon tableware but could not decide which set.


As you likely have already read on Facebook, Jan went back for a 2 hour massage in the afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed, relaxed, oiled, etc herself.  She can tell you more about that.  She always come back feeling much better and based on the cost of massages here, you can't pass it up.  While she was gone I anchored the cupboard to the wall and did the final touches.  The cupboard is done.
Celadon Setting we bought


Well, last night we made the decision that we liked a particular set of Celadon pottery at the factory we had visited last week.  We called "Mr. T" and his van service to take us to the Siam Celadon Pottery factory and we confirmed what set we wanted.  It is such a beautiful set.  We felt somewhat guilty getting something so nice but it is much more economical than a set of china back home.  We picked out each piece and made sure we had everything including the serving spoon in Celadon.
Jan and Rhoda getting pedicure
Jan here....YES... I really enjoyed the massage.  The thai massage is like a bunch of stretches in my opinion and its what this old body needs and then I ended with a hot oil massage...like a sweedish massage...not my favorite but very nice.  I feel quite spoiled here for for $5 an hour I just can't pass it up.  I am hoping to get one more before we leave next week.  Almost as good as the massage is the cup of ginger tea they give me at the end.  I have never had anything quite like it.  It is hot tea but it also is hot as in spicy hot in your mouth and going down your throat but it does not remain hot in your mouth like spicy hot does.  Anyway i love it and this last time they gave me 2 cups while i was waiting for Rhoda (my taxi service) to come pick me up.  Oh, I also forgot to tell about Rhoda and I and another lady who is a good friend of Rhoda's going to get a pedicure and manicure.  It was the funniest thing to have 3 ladies working on me at the same time...one on each foot and the other working on a hand.  So we were very pampered and had a fun time visiting at the same time!


Flower in neighbors yard
The celadon dishes were soooo hard for me to agree to.  Why is so hard to buy stuff for me?  If I was getting something for someone else it would be no problem but its hard to spend money on something i don't REALLY need.  But we did it and now that it is done..i can get excited about it and know I will enjoy it every time we use them.


I just have to add...I am so amazed at what an amazing person I am married to.  He has such a servants heart and I have enjoyed watching him in action as he has served in so many different ways while totally encouraging me to go off and pamper myself :) and allowing me to spend time with Rhoda and the kids etc.  Not to mention encouraging...if not insisting...we buy some new dishes...well I could go on and on...but need to wrap this up....

1 comment:

  1. I see Hannah's been in Asia long enough to know how to really pose for a picture:)
    I can see your pants now and they're awesome.

    ReplyDelete