Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Last Days in Turkey

Monday Dec - 13
It has been a beautiful and sunny day today.  The sky and air are the clearest since we have been here.  There is still snow on the ground and it is cold but it is sunny too which always makes you feel warmer even if its not.
Wayne and Roger roasting Chestnuts
Pam and I left about 8:40 to go across town to another lady’s (Anita) home.  Anita’s husband works with the defense dept. providing security for the embassy.  They have been here for a couple years.  While Anita has been here she has been involved in a lot of different things (she was the one leading the women’s study) and cooked for the men’s breakfast etc.  Overall a fun and busy lady.  One of her projects has been to provide lunch for the refugees at the center where the refugees go for their interview to get accepted by another country.  Most are Iranians and Iraqis.  So Pam has been helping her fix the lunches and taking them to the center. We arrived a few min early and Anita called the center to see how many people we would need to do lunches for.  The usual would be between 35-50 people. 
At the museum last week
Today there would be 95!  So while Pam and I began assembling sandwiches, Anita ran to the little corner store for more supplies.  We made salami and cheese sandwiches and put that and a tangerine in each bag with a napkin.  It took us a couple hours to do it all.  Often they stop by a bakery that donates day old rolls, more like sweet stuff, but we did not do that because of time and there would not be enough to go around.  I had no idea what to expect.  We carried the lunches in big canvas bags.   
Ankara through closed gates
We had to check in at a gate where you had to go between two locked gates before moving on to another room…another double door locks and then to a small overly warmed room full of people.  About half were young children.  As we started just going around the room and handing out the lunch bags the children’s eyes lit up and the parents gave us relieved and thankful looks.  Some looked at us a bit suspiciously and others refused at first till they realized it was free food and we were not expecting money for it.  After everyone in the room had some we had 15 extra (as we had made extra) and so we went outside to where there were people waiting to get in to be processed.  Guess how many there were…15!! 
God knew how many we would need.  It was such a blessing to show His love in a practical way.
After that Anita, Pam and I went to lunch at the mall.  We had a quick meal of Popeye’s chicken and then Anita was kind enough to drive us back home.  As opposed to the 2 buses, hour long trip it took going. 
Jan talking to Pam from the Roman City walls
Pam and Wayne were scheduled to go in the afternoon to the place where you get your visa renewed.  We had prayed much for things to go smoothly and they did as their visas have been renewed for another year.  PTL for that.  Roger and I spent the afternoon reading and relaxing.
After dinner we played games which we have done a few times since we have been here.  It was girls night to win at Wizard and Pam and I were so proud of ourselves as normally we did terrible and bear our way thru the process of losing badly.  So it was a nice change even if Wayne did whine a bit :)  .
As we got ready for bed we looked out the window and could hardly see across the street because the wind and snow were blowing again!!
Tues Dec -14
Jan reading to K5
This morning it was overcast but not snowing.  In fact the snow has melted quite a bit making a mess of mush outside.  Since the roads are hilly there are little streams running down the roads that make it easy for cars to drive by and spray you with water as you walk by.
Roger got going early to be at school by 8:30 to help a student with some math.  I left about an hour later with Pam.  We went by the store and post office and then she pointed me in the direction of the school and I headed uphill.  I didn’t blame her for not wanting to go all the way with me since it is straight up the hill.  I got there in time to read to the kindergarten class.  They are all so sweet.  Since we have been there a few times they recognize us and get so excited to see us.
Kim reading to Rogers favorite K4 class
The 4 yr olds especially love Mr. Roger.  He finds it easy to get down on their level and be goofy!  We helped the 4’s do a project and then we went to the second grade class and helped with another art project.  It is the last week of school before break and the teachers are finding creative ways to reinforce learning and to fill time for excited and crazy kids and we got to help!
Tonight there is a meeting here and Pam has invited the couples to come to dinner before the meeting.  We have really enjoyed meeting the other workers here and getting to know them.  So it will be nice to spend even more time together.  It has been a great time in Turkey.
Ankara
It is hard to believe that tomorrow evening we head to Kenya.  In 5 days we will see Eileen for Christmas break.  I realized this morning when I woke up dragging my feet and feeling in a funk that I really do have trouble with transition times and change.  It has been a great time here in Turkey with the Elliot’s and they have really allowed this to be our home for 10 days.  The anticipation of just moving on kind of makes me feel unsettled.  I have acknowledged it more in hopes to overcome this.  After so many years of transition in my life…maybe all my life I will come to a place of embracing it rather than letting it unsettle me so much.  I have moved so much and said goodbye to so many friends all my life…. I guess it’s not a wonder that it stirs a lot of emotion in me without my even realizing it.  So I am renewing my mind and trying to rejoice in the change and looking forward to it.  
Overlooking Ankara
 Of course I am looking forward to going to Kenya, seeing Doug and Lisa and Eileen but I guess it’s the letting go of something that has now become familiar and comfortable that is the hard part.  Normally once I leave a place or say goodbyes I am fine…so I need to learn to let go a little more gracefully I guess.  Wow …this is only country no. 2…is it possible in 7 more times of transition I will figure it out?  I hope so… We will see.

2 comments:

  1. SOunds like great fun and neat opportunities!! Hug Wayne and Pam from us.
    Miss you a ton!!!!!!!
    The picutures are great! They do not even look real.
    The kids get out of school tomorrow.
    Jeff is in MO. His grandpa died.
    We have our Christmas service Sunday with the Praise Choir.
    Take care, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fabulous stories you are telling! And the 15 "extra" sandwiches--only the God of heaven and earth could have orchestrated that!! I'll be praying that leaving each destination will get easier. I can imagine that the people you're leaving are missing you terribly. I'm sure that Wayne and Pam were thrilled beyond words to have you there with them. We miss you terribly here and wish you could hear the music Sunday, but this opportunity of yours doesn't come around often, so we're happy you are where you are! Love, Susie

    ReplyDelete