Saturday, May 14, 2011

Back to Normal?


I just want to write cause I am sitting in Roger’s parents’ apartment and everyone else is on a computer so…what do I like to do on the computer?  Write of course…
We arrived home about 8 PM Friday and were welcomed by the Dorko family.  They have been living in our home while we have been traveling and they have bought a home and are hoping to close in the next week or so.  We are used to having people in our home so it is not really a big deal to us. 
What has been a big deal is the adjustment to the reverse culture shock and adjusting to our new schedule and being apart and doing different things during the day.  I knew it would be different but didn’t realize how weird it would be and how unnatural it would feel to run errands on my own and to go the most part of a day without talking to Roger.  Saturday and Sunday were not to bad.  Saturday we went over to Ben and Sarah’s and enjoyed catching up with them and celebrated mom’s day early.  Ben gave me a beautiful painting of a photo we had taken of the church on a hill in Italy…one of my favorites and a nice bunch of sunflowers.  The best part was hugs all around…. I knew I missed them but did not realize how much till I was with them.  When we got home that evening there was some flowers from Lucas and Jamie too…what a surprise!  And then Sunday morning we got to Skype with Eileen…one happy mom right here. :)  I am so amazingly blessed !!
Sunday it was so great to be back in our church with friends and just say hi to everyone and then went to lunch with our dear friends the Denny’s at McAllister’s Deli… just a good thing to know that there are no lines there whatsoever on mothers day… which is weird because the food is good and its quite kid friendly.  The rest of the day we hung out at home.  Monday I was on the go all day doing errands and some appointments and hardly saw Roger all day.  He had quite a bit of real work to do... the kind that pays the bills so it was good but I truly missed being with him.
Soooo… Tuesday we left in the morning to drive to Florida and after about an hour in the car I thought to myself… this is the most normal I have felt in several days.  Traveling with Roger… that is what I have been doing the last 6 months and it felt so good to have him to myself and just be together going somewhere.  It has been an adjustment …. feeling as tho I am caught between two worlds…misplaced….a bit foggy headed and lost…typical symptoms of culture shock…I know it will pass and life will feel normal soon…so in the meantime I am enjoying hanging out with family and being with my best friend still…and wondering what life will look like a few weeks from now…guess for now I need to take things a day at a time…embrace the moment…sounds a bit familiar doesn’t it?

2 comments:

  1. :) I'm so glad you had a good mother's day! (We went to an Indian restaurant for lunch that day and also had the place to ourselves! :)) It was so good to be able to see and hug you guys again! Hope you enjoy your time in FL and praying for you guys during this adjustment phase!

    ReplyDelete